Exit Point
You know what this entry is going to be about, my beloved Brazil is out of the WC. Watching them lose to France just now brought back that same 'helplessly falling through an endless pit' feeling I experienced in 1998. But that was the Final and today was just the quarter final. I don't know which is more painful - stumbling at the final hurdle or crashing out even before that? Though it really hurts inside - I've followed Brazil since USA 94 - rationalising the situation tells me that this Brazil just wasn't up to it. Ronaldinho and Kaka were disappointing. Ronaldo and Adriano had tough seasons. Roberto Carlos and Cafu especially should've taken a step back and let new talent take over. Chief culprit - Carlos Alberto Parreira. Sure, he won Brazil the Jule Rimet in 1994, but it was through a much-maligned team that played a pragmatic and unentertaining style of football, which couldn't be further from the futebol de arte - art football - Brazil are revered for. "History remembers winners, not good football", it was quoted in Soccernet.com before today's games; that has always been an ethos many coaches have preached. If Parreira is one of them, then he has failed miserably. He failed tactically, unable to devise a method of play to accomodate a squad of superstar names and competent role players. Ironic, considering he is one of the more intellectual and urbane coaches around. Parreira just failed in his own game, simply.
France do deserve to go through this time round because they have emerged stronger through adversity. Just like all the other semi-finalists, Germany, Portugal and even the catenaccio-fond Italy. And England are finally out! What's my take on the England team? I didn't even bother to watch the game! hahah!!!
I'll probably mourn Brazil's exit in disappointment and sadness for awhile, but the World Cup doesn't come around everyday so i'll be sure to enjoy the remainder of it as a neutral.
France do deserve to go through this time round because they have emerged stronger through adversity. Just like all the other semi-finalists, Germany, Portugal and even the catenaccio-fond Italy. And England are finally out! What's my take on the England team? I didn't even bother to watch the game! hahah!!!
I'll probably mourn Brazil's exit in disappointment and sadness for awhile, but the World Cup doesn't come around everyday so i'll be sure to enjoy the remainder of it as a neutral.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home