V for Vendetta
Finally managed to catch V for Vendetta today( yday technically). Its like a void in me finally filled up. This movie has a lot of personal significance to me. First, i've been an avid admirer of Hugo Weaving ever since he played Agent Smith in the Matrix movies. He's the perfect actor to play V, the titular character. I shouldn't bother to tell you why, because its just my esteemed personal opinion. If you don't see what i see, its ok. But the more pressing salience comes from the idea the movie represents. I think Vendetta wasn't made as a visual treat, the special effects and CGI stuff was pretty pedestrian. So if you're disappointed with that, then i'm sad that you missed the best feature of the movie. From the outset, the power of ideas and words were explicated. That really spoke to me. Intangibles are the most powerful entities in our world, and ideas and words comprise a bulk of that. Symbols are a visual representation of those ideas, but they only carry weight if there are people behind it. People are the integral force who give symbols, ideas and words meaning. The latter three are just empty shells without people. V and his ideas were effective only because he could mobilize the people.
Why am i saying all this? In my opinion, the country/society i live in doesn't carry that vital element - people. Sure, there a lots of people around, but our grey matter is made up of stupidity. Ok, i was exaggerating, its made up of apathy, indifference, selfishness and misguided pragmatism. I'm not going to spare anyone, it exists in me, my family, my friends, everyone actually- including you, of course. It disgusts and enrages me at times, too much than it should actually.
In the movie, a "bad guy" about to be killed by V begs for mercy, and V replies, "Oh, not tonight". How I could use that attitude, that steely resolve....I would be a different person from what i am today, but i don't really mind, as long as I can truly say i lived my life fighting for an idea i believe in. But alas, that state doesn't exist, even in reel life, for V falls in love with Evey Hammond, the very beautiful Natalie Portman.
You're probably getting bored reading my ironically self-indulgent entry. Let me just end by saying that V for Vendetta is more than a movie starring my idol, it is a significant reflection of Who i am - no wait -
"who" is but the form following the function "what", and what I am is.....
Why am i saying all this? In my opinion, the country/society i live in doesn't carry that vital element - people. Sure, there a lots of people around, but our grey matter is made up of stupidity. Ok, i was exaggerating, its made up of apathy, indifference, selfishness and misguided pragmatism. I'm not going to spare anyone, it exists in me, my family, my friends, everyone actually- including you, of course. It disgusts and enrages me at times, too much than it should actually.
In the movie, a "bad guy" about to be killed by V begs for mercy, and V replies, "Oh, not tonight". How I could use that attitude, that steely resolve....I would be a different person from what i am today, but i don't really mind, as long as I can truly say i lived my life fighting for an idea i believe in. But alas, that state doesn't exist, even in reel life, for V falls in love with Evey Hammond, the very beautiful Natalie Portman.
You're probably getting bored reading my ironically self-indulgent entry. Let me just end by saying that V for Vendetta is more than a movie starring my idol, it is a significant reflection of Who i am - no wait -
"who" is but the form following the function "what", and what I am is.....
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home