Wednesday, February 08, 2006

'I Have a Dream'

Coretta Scott King passed away last month - January 30th. She was Martin Luther King's wife. I must admit I don't know much about Coretta King but I have some knowledge of her husband's work. I know enough of the tremendous contributions the Kings have made to the Civil Rights Movement to feel deep gratitude and be in awe of them. Figures like M.L King don't come around everyday. I feel privileged to have learnt about his work, the brilliance,courage and discipline of the man touched the very core of my soul. Its such a pity he passed on so early in his life. But one thing's for sure, the ideas and teachings of Dr King will be remembered for a long, long time to come. I know I will. And now, I will also remember the wife who stepped out of her husband's shadow to leave a legacy of her own.

Co-incidentally, race issues have been in the spotlight in the media recently. Its also an issue i've been thinking about alot lately. I don't really know what to say of it; except racial and religious tolerance in spore should never be taken for granted. My choice of the word 'tolerance' is deliberate because i think we're not at a stage to call it 'harmony'. Just cos the Gahmen says 'harmony' doesn't make it true. I think the sporean who is ignorant/ indifferent/ apathetic about race relations is almost as guilty as the sporean who has racist or discriminatory leanings. I know of morons who still can't differentiate between an Indian or a Malay in spore - shocking or expected? i don't know man...Just make sure i don't see that when i'm in a foul mood...lao sip kong...

The onus to resolve this issue lies in the hands of a group which I am not a part of. So i shall bid adieu here.

"Ooooh and it makes me wonder" - Stairway To Heaven, Led Zeppelin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home