Saturday, November 12, 2005

November 11 2005 - The Merlin Squadron closes down

I was trying to get some Plato into my head when i got a long sms from a friend in NS, the guy actually took over my job after i ORD-ed so you could say he's my successor. My unit officially ceased to exist as of Friday after a long dreaded timeline of rumors and the more-dreaded final confirmation. I won't divulge unecessary infomation about the squadron itself but only proudly declare, that the 2yrs i worked there meant, and still means alot to me.

Naturally, i'm sad that we had to close down. Maybe i don't feel that sad because that part of my life is over and i've been through the getting-over phase, but not my successor who's still been working there. He's sad and angry because he put in so much effort into the squadron and now its all over. Sounds like a break- up in a relationship doesn't it? haha.. But seriously, you can see where he's coming from.

Its a tough pill to swallow - getting over something you devoted a part of yourself to, be it a girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, job, class, etc.. Some more than others, some longer than others, some never. I guess its human nature to expect something in return when you invest a part of yourself into something and BAM!! suddenly you find hurt and disappointment. I'm sure everyone has experienced that in some sorta way, i sure have. I've been hit hard, and its not fun man..a part of you changes forever, but you also learn from it and move on.

I'm sure my successor will get over his 'break-up' just fine. But this little incident has just reinforced something i've realised; when it comes to something that means alot to you, you shouldn't hold on too tight or you'll lose your grip. Sometimes, you also have to learn to let it go by yourself, or it could be taken away from you forever. My buddy Alvin has a different version to this. I'm not fully there to applying it in my life yet, but the sooner the better. I lose something with each day i don't, and it really hurts.

"I'm so proud the fans still sing my name
But I fear tomorrow they will stop
I Fear it because I Love it
And everything you Love, you Fear you will Lose"
- Eric Cantona 2004
[Legend to Manchester United, God to me]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home