Friday, November 11, 2005

The importance of Humility

I was feeling hungry and raided my fridge a while back. Guess what i came up with? Kellogg's Corn flakes and soya milk topped off with an assortment of van houten chocolates. Creative or weird - i don't care, hunger suppressed...woohoo...

I've been reading alot of philosophy lately -for the finals- and its very enriching, really. What struck me quite a bit was the importance of pairing humility with knowledge. Its no use having all that good stuff in your brain if you can't be nice and down-to-earth enough to apply it in life. Knowledge without humility is just wasted potential in my humble (of course) opinion.

Looking back on my day, i realise i flawed on two occasions with regards to humility. One was something i did, and alluded to me being a sore loser who takes setbacks and defeats unnecessarily to heart.Someone's casual remark actually made me realise this. Thank You, really. The other was something i said, which i shouldn't have. I don't know if people see me as being foolishly cocky, but i have a frequent tendency to say things i shouldn't. At times its just an inappropriate or insensitive remark, but i have the potential (unfortunately) to mouth off some pretty brutal stuff. I've always blamed the people around me for this,but i guess the only constant is Me...so i have reduced my outbursts in an attempt to curb myself; problem is sometimes it just bottles up in me and i become a 'ticking time bomb'.

In the words of Rage Against The Machine, "I'm Calm Like A Bomb"
and in my words, i'm desparately looking to Defuse it.
and i believe Humility is one key.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home